Cold water swimming has scientifically proven health benefits. In recent years cold water swimming has been something of a trend. Wim Hof has been an advocate of this for years and now even has a program entirely based on this topic which the Voice team are loving.
Here are some benefits that health practitioners say cold water swimming can have:
1. It boosts your immune system – The effects of cold water on the immune system have been studied widely. Cold water helps to boost the white blood cell count because the body is forced to react to changing conditions.
2. It gives you a natural high – cold water swimming activates endorphins. This chemical is what the brain produces to make us feel good during activities. Cold water swimming is also a form of exercise, and exercise has been proven to help with depression.
3. It improves your circulation – cold water swimming flushes your veins, arteries, and capillaries. It forces blood to the surface and helps to warm our extremities. Repeated exposure adapts us to the cold.
4. It burns calories -the heart has to pump faster in cold water and the body must work harder to keep everything warm while swimming.
5. It reduces stress – cold water swimming places stress on the body physically and mentally.
6. It is a great way of socialising and making new friends – there is a great sense of community and camaraderie amongst cold water swimmers.
Our Managing Director Nichola and our PPC Executive Sam have embraced cold water swimming and say that the cold water makes them feel alive, awakens their body and has a positive impact on their mental health.
At Voice we are always looking for ways to benefit mental and physical health. If you are reading this then we hope you’ve been inspired to try it and we’d love you to let us know how it made you feel.
Take a look at our other blogs here.